Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Finally, Rome Sweet Home!

I'm done reading ROME SWEET HOME: Our Journey to Catholicism by Dr. Scott and Kimberly Hahn. Finally I had that drive to read the book.

It was in high school way back 2002 when I was first introduced to Dr. Hahn's theological works. I was given a book entitled Hail, Holy Queen which was one of his best works on the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was left untouched on my desk for some years until I read it. I thought it was very good and since then got fond of reading more of his works. The last one I read was Consuming the Word in 2013, the 15th book authored by him which I have.

My godfather, together with many friends in the Catholic apologetics, recommended I read Rome Sweet Home. The only copy I found was a newsprint from a local bookstore. I was not enticed to read it. I scanned a few pages, took a glimpse at the pictures, then placed it back on shelf. I felt it was boring. After reading many of his works defending the Catholic teaching, it seemed that his conversion story were mere reiterations of the more detailed experiences Dr. Scott Hahn recounts on his other books.

Why just now? My grandmother gave me a copy as a New Year's present. Upon receiving it, I said to myself, "Wow, thanks but I have a copy already." But this one is a new print and it looks cool. I started reading it and in three days, voila! I'm done. Congratulations to me.

Well I hope I'm back to my regular reading habit of finishing at least a book a week. What struck me most in their conversion story is not the process but the realization that many Catholics take for granted the faith they have, the faith we have. How many of us Catholics really know the core of our beliefs? It is not only a matter of believing and dogmatizing the Church and God as if they are mere theological characters but real, real, existing beings that should be known by heart. It is not just knowing Jesus but really getting to His very person and encountering Him. It is not only lining for communion or receiving the sacraments as if ordinary rituals but seeing the meanings behind these symbols and acts of faith. Maybe that is my it is called, the "core", it is the heart (from the Latin cor).

Many of us know the bible, what it is, but not what it contains. We know the books of the bible but we do not know what they really want to tell us. We just often read them as a literary work or as an ordinary book of texts but not opening it in order to open our hearts and minds to a divine reality. Does it really need to be a foreigner to explain things to natives? This question struck me in the reading of their conversion story. Sometimes, if not too often, it needs someone from the outside to show us what our culture is (sociologically speaking). The Catholic faith is so rich in doctrine, in tradition, in scripture, in God's ways, but we do not usually see these because we've grown too lax or too comfortable with what we have. "Oh we're Catholic and we know that the Church holds the truth." but when faced with the question, "Then what truths does you Church teach?" We don't have an answer.

A good way to jumpstart the year 2014. Pope Francis calls for a Church that is active. The Year of Faith that challenged every Catholic to restudy and relearn the core of faith has been fruitful. Now the pontiff is challenging us to go further more, evangelize today. After this, next reading in line is his apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium.

5 star for Dr. Scott and Kimberly Hahn's ROME SWEET HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment