Sunday, September 8, 2013

To Your Patronage, O Holy Mother

Altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary
erected in honor of her nativity at the
St. Peter's College Seminary chapel.
Holy Mother of God;
despise not our petitions in our needs,
but from all dangers deliver us always,
Virgin Glorious and Blessed!


In the Latin liturgical calendar of the Church, three significant births are celebrated with a solemn festivity: 1) the birth of John the Baptist, 2) the birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and 3) that of Our Lord Jesus Christ known much as Christmas. These nativities are symbols of Christian journey - one who prepared the way of the coming Word, one who in her fiat (the obedient "Yes" to God's will) humbly carried the Word, an the One who is Incarnate, the Word Himself.

September 8 marks the annual commemoration of the Blessed Virgin's birth. Each year this day is a special one for me as I celebrate my birthday with her as well. This is one of my devotions to Mary that I celebrate it in a prayerful and recollective atmosphere. I see our day as a blessing and an affirmation that Mary's guidance has been with me all throughout my years guiding me and leading the way.

Although her birthday falls on a Sunday this year, it is imperative that the Sunday liturgy takes precedence over the celebration of her nativity. Nevertheless, we had an altar fixed in her honor. On the night of Septemeber 7, we had a harana for her. Seminarians sang their own compositions of Marian songs to give praise to her as the glory of God and model of faith, hope, and love.

This afternoon, a good friend of mine, Sem. Nino Acero from Siniloan, Laguna, handed me a rosary which he personally made (and on the same day!). He told me it was a present for my birthday. Just a trivia, almost every year I receive a white rosary on my birthday and I still have my very first rosary with me in my pocket that I use daily. It was given to me by my godfather when I was in preschool. Going back, upon receiving the my new rosary, I hastily went down to the chapel and placed it on Our Lady's hands together with a stargazer lily that I offer during these time of the year. The flower reminds me of the Blessed Virgin who is the lily of purity, the ornament and glory of Christinity, the flower of heaven which looks upward (the stargazer lily is called the "new cross" because it always looks up to heaven).

The image of the Virgin Mary holding the rosary given to me
by Sem. Nino Acero.

Why do I have such a love and devotion to Mary? For one, I feel close to her ever since I knew we shared the same birth day. Second, because she is for me a model of discipleship.

Knowing Jesus is one thing, but following Him is another. Mary shows me the way to both knowing and following her Son. She does not only lead me to Him but tells me to "do whatever He tells you." Mary inspires me in service. Even though I find myself astray and lost because of my wrong doings, I still find my way back home in the Church because of her. It is from her example that I drove one of my philosophies in life that true greatness comes from a humbles submission to learn from the Master's feet. Mary listened to Jesus and kept and pondered His words in her heart. Mary chose to give up her personal freedom in order to be the Mother of our Lord and from where she found her true liberation. Mary is our guide towards her loving Son. Mary is not only the Mother of Jesus but also Our Mother.

Happy birthday dear Mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment