Thursday, September 5, 2013

What Motivates You?


Back in 2001 when I was graduating in Grade 6, I received my first hardbound book. During those times I wasn't fond of reading, not for lack of good materials but because I was timid to do so. The book ended up on top of my study table collecting dust for almost four years until I finally decided to read it. It was about the Blessed Virgin Mary as found in Sacred Scriptures. It was written by an Evangelical Protestant-convert to Catholicism who now is an acclaimed Catholic biblical theologian in Ohio. To cut the long story short, I’m currently finishing reading my 15th book by the same author.

What motivated me to take and read that book? What struck me in the head to decide after four years to go ahead and read it? What made my heart beat to love the works of that author?

As another school year opens in the seminary, we are challenged to evaluate and reexamine our motivations. What motivates us? What motivated us in this our chosen vocation? It is a journey towards the inner self where we question our thoughts, our desires, our passion, and our will. Seminarians are always reminded to submit to their formation and to take every moment in and outside the seminary walls as an avenue for growth and maturity. We are like clay in the hands of the Potter. But is this formation a loving gaze of obedience and surrender or a frail and blind observance of rules governing seminary life?

Two of my younger brothers finished their majors in engineering this summer from the same university where I obtained my degree in sociology. At the present moment, they are now reviewing for board examinations. Sooner or later they would be applying for jobs, leave home, establish their own families, and get along with their lives as normal men do. Sometimes I think of the many opportunities the world offers, how I can be useful in many other fields than in the seminary, or how far I may have achieved (by this time I could have finished my Master’s degree, but I’m still taking bachelor’s units in philosophy).

Vocation is a sacred calling. Whether one is called to the ministerial priesthood, to a life of conjugal love, or to a religious and/or celibate life, all are called to sanctity.

Vocation is a gift that is freely sent coupled with divine grace. It is like a seed planted in the hearts of every human being entrusted with determination to cultivate it. Vocation does not grow by itself. It is nourished by one’s cooperation. One cannot give it away or if one gravely turns his back on it, he finds no meaning to his life.

Vocation is strengthened by the prudent practice of virtues and faithful witness to the laws and commandments of God. Freedom does not entail detachment from the law but through a loving obedience of it.


The hand of the Divine Potter is unpredictable but nevertheless perfect. His way of forming the lives of men is not through coercion but through charity. When He said, “Behold, I make all things new” indeed He does. His authority is not mandated but emanates from Himself. Clay may look to be slimy mud but it can be transformed into an elegant decorative vase for a beautiful parish church or the cathedral altar. It may sometimes look dirty but it can be changed into fine jars to store holy water used to bless and cleanse the people of God.

We are always and everywhere challenged to ask ourselves: What is our motivation? Do we see our actions as sacred, as a gift, and as guided by God’s divine law? Do we allow ourselves to be clay before the Potter who would mold and subject us into the fiery heat in order to fortify and toughen us? We always learn from Him Who is the Master, “gentle, meek, and mild” before the will of God. There is no growth until we decide for ourselves and take the first step to it.



The following article is written as an editorial for CLAVES: The Official Publication of the St. Peter's College Seminary Vol. XVII No.3.

No comments:

Post a Comment